Jun 19, 2008

Self-made gifts & cards

Gone are the days when rainy days meant paperboats sailing on streams of rainwater. Children love sitting infront of the television hooked to their own cartoons and video games. Unless we make an effort to channelize their attention to something more interesting, they will grow up to be dull fat couch potatoes of tomorrow. Engage your child by participating in an activity together. So, how about encouraging your little one to create something for Dad on Father's Day rather than buying the regular Hallmark cards. It could be anything from a card, a card holder to a penholder for dad. Self-made cards and gifts from your loved ones could be much more valuable than the prettiest and costliest of gifts. Don't forget to shower loads of appreciation while recieving the gifts. Appreciation is the best way in boosting creativity. A clap, a pat on the back, or a few words of praise can inspire them or crush their creative spirit forever. Here's a sketch I gifted my twin brother and sis-in-law when my nephew was about to be born. I was so delighted with the kind of response they showed.
This was a surprise video made for my younger brother and his love, and shown at thier wedding reception...they sure were surprised and enjoyed every bit of it!



Has your child gifted you something that he/she made by himself/herself? What was your reaction? Have you made something and gifted to your loved ones?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

My 3 year old daughter gave me a half eaten chocolate on mother's day. It was sooo cute. :)

Anonymous said...

Akash, my son gave me a branch shaped like a deer with horns. I could not understnad what it was before. But when he told me, it seemed like a deer to me. Loved my dear's 'deer' gift.

Unknown said...

When I was a small girl I used to make greeting cards for my friends and relatives......my young one is still very small to do anything of this sort but definitely I'll try to motivate her creative side.....by the way I loved ur painting and especially the video that u made for ur brother and his wife.