Feb 23, 2009

Development of Verbal Skills

The typical toddler's brains are like sponges. They pick up information from every little source here and there. You get to see sudden reflections of those in their developments. Every little new word picked up brings them closer to their next milestone.
Yesterday, we went to an Indoor Games Fun Event organized by Bharat Club. My hubby played table tennis and I played carrom. He also joined in for carrom doubles later on.

While DD sat near me watching the first carrom of her life, the striker hit the center and she cried out, "IT BURST", "IT BURST" with a glimmer in her eyes.



I was so surprised. Where on earth could she have heard the word 'burst'? After a thought I related the word 'burst' to 'bursting of balloons'. Perhaps, the toddler mind had somehow related the word 'burst' with 'sudden loud sound', made from balloons or elsewhere. The human brain is capable of making these associations about words inspite of not knowing the meaning. Isn't it interesting?

2 comments:

cre8tone said...

Surely is interesting

Anonymous said...

hello I stumble upon your blog and wanted to invite you to join my giveaway here http://lilhandmadesbymamabliss.blogspot.com/ hope to see you there :)